Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Celebrity A-List Sightings!

Dear Blob!
My new Best Gay Friend (NBGF), who was in Chorus Line on Broadway, Xanadu the movie, a Solid Gold Dancer and made out with John Travolta in a dressing room, took me to opening night of Camelot at Royce Hall at UCLA. This blog is a report of the total A-list celebrity sightings yeilded by an evening of very traditional and awfully boring musical theater.
First we saw Mel Brooks crossing the street on the Sunset strip and we were pleasantly surprised with how spry and fit he appeared. Then at Royce Hall, which was awash with the hoi polloi of LA, we saw Mrs. Garrett from Facts of Life, Charlotte Rae and the incomparable Shirley Jones! I've been in the same audition waiting room with Mrs. Garrett, so while I adore her and feel she was my House Mother at Fantasy Boarding School, she did not make me quiver the way Shirley Jones did. I used to watch Oklahoma! and The Music Man at least monthly, as we had them on VHS. Shirley Jones looked awesome! Beautiful, just like she did on the Partridge Family. Charlotte Rae is tiny, shorter than me and she also looks fab.
Meanwhile, Camelot was awful and I can't imagine why anyone would revive such a bad show. Lou Diamond Phillips played King Arthur and he did not Stand and Deliver this time. He can't sing and was totally overshadowed by Guenevere and Lancelot. I learned from Camelot, that sex fucks everything up.
Love The UkuLady
ps: Speaking of VHS, my NBGF has to transfer footage from Betamax.
pps: We ate mini-cheesecakes at the afterparty and saw several bad facelifts.
ppps: I realize that the celebrity A-list sightings are specific to a fag hag or a theater nerd. I am both.

No comments: