Sunday, March 11, 2007

The Donner Party & Latino HipHop

Dear Blog,
my Salvadorian/American neighbor, nicknamed DJ Nitrous, enjoys playing latino hiphop very very extremely loud, which does not bother me at all. In fact, I like that the DJ keeps me in touch with what the kids around Echo Park are listening to, without even leaving my house.
This morning, while lying in bed around 8am, DJ Nitrous was "kicking the beats" and the first thought that crossed my mind was, "What would the Donner Party think if they heard this music?" Did the Donner Party members ever hear words like bitch mother fucker and pussy? I think about the Donner Party at least once a day. I imagine if they heard the pulsing bass and the bitch mother fucker pussy (it's not always latino spanish-language hiphop, but often the traditional ebonic kind) from the freezing cold of their hastily-made lean-tos up at Donner Lake, during what was unfortunately, the coldest winter in 100 years, they would have been relieved, because it meant help, in a way, was on the way.
A fleet of urban rappers scaling the Sierra's, to save the stranded pioneers....ridiculous. Anyway, I think about the Donner Party a lot.
Love Miss The UkuLady

No comments: